Many industries, such as construction, industrial, automotive, and military, count on freight transportation to transfer their equipment and supplies to their destination. Because many of these products are oversized and are oddly formed, they don’t fit the size of a standard truck. Flatbed freight transportation resolves these issues.
What is Flatbed Shipping?
Flatbed shipping is a method to transport freight, utilizing flatbed trucks that can carry heavy and oversized equipment, such as cranes and forklifts. Because these trucks don’t have walls, oversized freight fits.
Flatbed truck dimensions are different depending on the particular truck and trucking type. Tractor-trailer-sized flatbeds are typically between 48 feet and 53 feet long, and the standard width is 8 feet and 6 inches, though this can extend to 11 feet. Flatbed trucks carrying loads wider than 11 feet may require an escort vehicle.
The flatbed freight market is normally project-based with seasonal demand. Since industries using it generally slow down in winter months, the demand for flatbed freight becomes normal at the end of the year. Often, companies need to finish shipping materials for projects before the holiday closures and before snow covers routes that slow down shipping.
What Items Can Be Delivered with a Flatbed Truck?
Flatbed trucks can deliver almost anything, with the exception of products that elements can damage since they’re uncovered.
The most usual goods that are shipped using flatbed shipping are:
- Freight exceeding 100 inches in height or 100 inches in width
- Cars and other vehicles
- Formed lumber, concrete items, construction materials, trusses, and large beams
- Large machinery and equipment: backhoes, tractors, dozers, excavators, forklifts, and other construction, agricultural, manufacturing, and warehousing equipment
- Any freight, which needs to be loaded by wench, crane, roll off-platform, forklift, etc.
Benefits of Flatbed Freight
Besides higher import demands, increased construction activities, and booming oil and drilling, other flatbed freight advantages are why more industries are using it. These include:
1. Easy Loading and Unloading of Cargo
Since flatbed trucks are uncovered or have no boxy wall, you don’t need to stress over obstacles for easy transport. You can quickly fit your products and simply utilize a forklift to load them up. It gives you complete freedom on what to put on, even the largest items.
2. Unloading without the Need of a Loading Dock
Flatbed trucking services do not have any limitations when it comes to a loading dock. Your products can be delivered anywhere by the transportation company, including residential areas, large construction sites, and so on.
3. Secure and Safe Transportation
Moving freight through flatbed trucks is more secure and safer since the items are exposed. But to prevent shifting during transport, professionals utilize chains, coil racks, traps, and others so that your freight will get to its destination without scratches.
4. Flatbed Trucking Services Enable Various Materials and Size
A flatbed truck allows you to transfer a high volume of various products in one trip. This helps move oddly-shaped cargo, specifically for those in the construction industry. Because of this, you can save from shipping costs and accelerate completion time. Also, flatbed shipping permits you to transfer large cargo even if it doesn’t occupy the entire space of the truck.
Is Flatbed Shipping Expensive?
The cost of flatbed shipping services depends on the country you live in and where you are shipping to. The expense is impacted by numerous factors such as:
- How far is the loading and unloading points
- The need for loading and unloading equipment like a loading platform or a crane
- The need for additional services like chains and tarps
- Any fees and permits that your cargo requires from local and national government offices
- The type of flatbed truck you need
- The weight and size of your load
To make the most of the advantages of flatbed truck services, it’s always best to work with specialists who guarantee your cargo’s timely delivery and safety. Also, ensure to know the kind of flatbed trailers. On top of these, before booking, it’s important to understand the measurements, weight, product, and worth of your delivery.
If you’re seeking professional flatbed shipping services, contact Ship Interlane. With them, you can ship even your most oversized equipment across the country and to the USA or Mexico.